12.11.2010

A semester wrap up.

So I am finally caught up in my blogging, and with the end of the semester coming up I thought I would do a little semester wrap up.
This is what my last three weeks looked like:
I had four papers due on the last week of class, all of them were research papers with a required length of 8-10 pages. Lots of stress, writing, reading and a few tears went into the papers but I am happy to say they are all done. I am just a few finals and a graphic design project away from doing whatever I please, including reading whatever I want.

I think I was crazy when I signed up for 4 English classes because this is how many books I had to read:
That is a lot of books. I want to write my review of the books I read so that when I forget if I liked the book I have an easy reference. If you are looking for something to read there are a few good ones here!
A Long and Happy Life -Reynolds Price 
This book was a fast and easy read, with an ok story and much better on the second read (ya I had to read it twice, but it was the only book for my writing class...) I learned a lot while I was writing so I now appreciate this book more than I originally thought. Not a bad quicky! 
The Old Man and the Sea -Earnest Hemingway
If you like Hemingway, or fishing maybe you will like this. I don't love either and while it was an ok book and a classic not a favorite of the semester. 
Herland - Charlotte Perkins Gilman
This is a Utopian feminist novel. I thought it was great and did a wonderful job highlighting women are equal to men in many ways. Slow at times but I enjoyed it. 
The Blacker the Berry -Wallace Thurman
I really liked the way this book was written. Great character development and a great look into racism in America. 
America is in the Heart -Carlos Bulosan
I also liked this one. The thing I found most interesting was how America was portrayed in this novel. We were awful to the immigrants and this shows a lot of truth. 
Possession: A Romance -A.S. Byatt
This took me a while to get into it but then it was awesome. The story is very unique and compelling. (much better than the movie) 
Translations -Brian Friel
This is a short play but full of a lot. I didn't put it down until I finished because I wanted to know what happened. 
The Cure at Troy -Seamus Heaney
A really cool take on the famous Greek story of Philoctetes. It's also a play and a quick read. Not bad. 

A House for Mr. Biswas - V.S. Naipaul
We only read a couple chapters out of this book, but it seemed interesting. I am not sure I will take the time to read the rest of the book though...
The Famished Road -Ben Okri
This book is trippy. It is African magical realism and has a lot of really strange stuff in it, but it was a good book and had a great ending (kind of a Moral of the Story end). 
Midnight's Children -Salman Rushdie
By far the strangest book I read all semester. Half the time you don't know what is going on. The other half you only think you know what is going on. It is beautifully written but Rushdie is kinda a crazy. 
The Return of the King- J.R.R. Tolkien
Well the only thing this book did for me was make me want to watch the movies. I am sure if I knew the story better I would have been more interested but come on Tolkien do you have to spend pages describing every little detail?
Omeros -Derek Walcott
Epic Poem. Like 500 pages.... Not a fan. 
Northanger Abbey -Jane Austen
This is an Austen take on the Gothic novel. Not my favorite Austen book, but the story is fun and her imagination shows in this one. 
Emma -Jane Austen
Probably my second favorite JA novel. I love Emma and I think she is funny. Read this! 
Persuasion -Jane Austen
This is the second time I have read Persuasion this year and it grows on you. JA wit is enjoyable all the time, this isn't my favorite but also a good one. 
Washington Square - Henry James
I was excited to see this novel play out and was very satisfied with it. I have learned to love Henry James and his twisted views on life. 
Daisy Miller - Henry James
Like not love. Daisy Miller is an intriguing character and the way it is narrator really shapes your view about her. James is good at that! 
The Turn of the Screw -Henry James
Said to be one of the greatest ghost stories ever told, and I have to say that although I didn't lose sleep over it, it was thrilling and a fun read. 
Jane Austen: A Life -Carol Sheilds
As far as biographies go, this is a keeper it was interesting had some great stories about her life and I didn't feel like I was reading a biography. 

TaDa. The End. Wish me luck on finals. 

No comments: